THIS IS E-NOTICE 2000-1 OF SEPTEMBER 15, 2000
I hope this e-Notice finds you well and enjoying the first days of Fall. I wanted to update you on several items:
1. FOUNDATION REPORT.
A. General Fund: Thanks to the generosity of many alumni and former faculty, I am thrilled to report that the Foundations General Fund to be used for gifts to the School, scholarships, future events like the 6/25/05 All Classes Reunion events, and the like currently has a balance of $9,394.
B. Principals/Faculty Memorial Fund: And Im really thrilled to report that, thanks to the vision and extraordinary generosity of Charlie Cooper (52), a special Principals/Faculty Memorial Fund has been endowed which currently has a balance of $10,378. Charlie endowed this Fund in memory of John M. Pryde, Charlies Principal while at Surrattsville. Charlie reports that the late Mr. Prydes interest in and encouragement of Charlie really made a difference for him, and he wanted to make a contribution in his memory and encourage other alumni to make similar contributions to this Fund in the memory of principals and faculty members who touched their lives.
Unlike the General Fund, the Principals/Faculty Memorial Fund is a source of funds to be used to assist current Surrattsville High School students in succeeding at the School and beyond. The School Principal, with input from teachers, counselors, coaches, students and others, identifies students who could benefit from the Fund, and suggests appropriate Fund expenditures to the Funds Committee. For instance, the Principal might identify a student who would benefit from private tutoring in a particular subject or from focused counseling, and the Principal could suggest to the Committee that money from the Fund be used to pay for this tutoring or counseling. Similarly, the Principal might identify a student who would be likely to qualify for college admission only with some SAT test preparation, and the Principal could suggest to the Committee that money from the Fund be used to pay for this preparation. The Principal also might identify a student who would benefit from a study skills or similar course, and the Principal could suggest to the Committee that money from the Fund be used to pay for this course. The uses of the Fund to assist current students would not be limited, so costs such as eye and ear examinations and the like also could be paid from the Fund.
This is an absolutely wonderful idea by Charlie, and a real tangible way for us to acknowledge the thousands of small -- and not so small -- kindnesses we received from those who shepherded us through the halls of Surratts. I strongly encourage each of you to consider making a contribution to this very special Fund.
(The next Foundation Board meeting is 9/21/00. Please let me know if youd like to attend.)
2. FOUNDATION CHARTER DONORS. Theres still time to become a Charter Donor to the Foundation. Well have a plaque engraved with the names of all the Charter Donors and hang it, in perpetuity, in the School lobby. Believe me: no donation is too small (and, of course, none is too large); because of the large number of Surratts alumni and former faculty, those smaller donations really add up in a hurry. Ive attached, and reprinted below, a donation form if youd like to make a donation. Feel free to designate your contribution either as a contribution to the General Fund or to the Principals/Faculty Memorial Fund, or to include any other special instructions.
3. PHOTO BOOKS. The Photo Book company has sent the page proofs of the Photo Book to our Photo Book Coordinator, Gill Thompson Harry (71). Gill is now working feverishly with the Photo Book company to encourage them to add many of the candids you sent and we submitted that were omitted from the page proofs. Heres hoping Gills hard work will have a positive result on this score and that the company will be sending out the Photo Books in short order. Thanks, Gill!
4. ALUMNI DIRECTORY. Our Alumni Directory Coordinator, Leslie St. Clair Smith (70), has received the final Directory listings well be able to include in this first edition of the Directory, and has been working diligently for months on the production process. It now looks like the Directories will start to be mailed during the second week of October. If you havent ordered an Alumni Directory and would like to do so, send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ill send you an order form. Thanks, Leslie!
5. REUNION T-SHIRTS. We still have several large and medium Reunion T-shirts and Motorcycle Ride T-shirts left. Theyre $15, which includes shipping. Please send me an email (email@example.com) if youd like to scarf-up one of these precious collectors items.
6. ORCs/VOLUNTEERS. If youre an ORC or a Y2K Reunion Volunteer, and you havent heard about our gathering scheduled for 9/21, please drop me an email.
7. 2000 HOMECOMING PARADE. Chief Black, the Schools Jr. ROTC Director and chair of the Surrattsville 2000 Homecoming activities, has invited all alumni and former faculty to walk in the Homecoming parade on Saturday October 14. The parade stages at the Clinton shopping center at 9 a.m. The Foundation will participate, and will have a table at the game. Ive done this once before, and its a hoot.
Thanks again for all of your support of the fledgling efforts of the Foundation. Best wishes for a pleasant and productive Autumn! Henry Smith (SHS 71), firstname.lastname@example.org