THIS IS E-NOTICE 2001-1 OF JANUARY 12, 2001
Here are some items that might be of interest:
1. DIRECTORY UPDATES. When you send Leslie St. Clair (70) updated Alumni Directory information or paragraphs about what youre up to, please be sure to mention your graduation year. Also, please keep those update paragraphs to five or six lines of text. (Leslies email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.) Lots of paragraphs are coming in. The next edition of the Directory ought to be really special because of them. Finally, everyone who ordered a Directory should have received one by now. Please let me know if you did and you didnt.
2. MANY THANKS FOR SUCH A LOVELY GIFT. A couple of days before Christmas, two large plywood boxes arrived at my house. When I opened them, I found three absolutely beautiful framed objects. Two of the frames contained the Governors and Senates proclamations concerning Surrattsville High School Day and commending us for our efforts on behalf of the School. The third frame contained a beautiful brass plaque containing a very kind inscription to me from all of you concerning my Y2K Reunion and Foundation efforts, a lovely authentic trust indenture from 1754 (!), and an enlargement of that great aerial shot from the School roof of the entire mass of us gathered for the Reunion. Apparently, led by my dear friend Victor Negron (71) and my darling wife, Donna Rae (Sturtevant) Smith (70), you nice people took up a secret collection at the events and conspired to present me with these wonderful gifts. I am most grateful, and Ill treasure them for the rest of my life. Many, many thanks to you all for such wonderful sentiments and lovely gifts.
3. IMPORTANT DIRECTORY CORRECTIONS. For those of you who received Alumni Directories, please note that the heading 1963" should be added before Randall Bakers name appearing after Richard Allen Wises name in your Directories. Similarly, the heading 1980" should be added before Kimberly Sue Arthurs name and after Deborah Darlene Williams name. Sorry about these errors that occurred during production (and not during Leslie St. Clairs preparation of the Directory). We certainly didnt intend to leave out the headings for the great Classes of 1963 and 1980!
4. CHARTER FOUNDATION DONORS. Remember that the Board of the Foundation has extended until 1/31/01 the deadline for becoming a Charter Donor of the Foundation. If you have already become one, please take a look at your entry below and send me any corrections so the plaque for the School lobby will be accurate.
5. CHARITABLE WEBSITES. Trina Jones Selby (75) and Leslie St. Clair (70) sent in info about a website, http://www.thebreastcancersite.com, where, just by visiting and clicking a button (and reading ads, I imagine), you can cause a corporate sponsor to donate a free mammogram to a woman who needs one. Apparently, only one free mammogram donation per visitor is allowed. Similarly, Tom Shultz (71), reported on www.thehungersite.com, where corporate sponsors will donate a meal to a hungry person somewhere in the world if you visit and click. Apparently, one can visit this site once per day. Cool ideas!
6. UPCOMING FOUNDATION ANNUAL REPORT. Ive learned a lot about human nature working on the Foundation, and the main thing Ive learned is that people are really fantastic. The many acts of generous faith performed by the many folks who have lined up to support the Foundation is really touching. In the next e-Notice, Ill provide you with an informal first annual report on the activities of the Foundation (including the final list of Charter Donors). I think youll be impressed by how much weve accomplished in one short year by working together so well.
7. WEB SITE. Don't forget to visit the new and improved Foundation web site at www.surrattsville.org. Thanks to Webmaster Bill Thomas (77)!
Heres hoping that your 2001 has gotten off to a fabulous start. Best wishes for the remainder of the year! Henry Smith (71), email@example.com
The Surrattsville High School Foundation, Inc. Charter Donors as of 1/12/01