THIS IS E-NOTICE 2001-4 OF MARCH 26, 2001
Here are some items that might be of interest:
1. OSCAR CONGRATULATIONS! Congratulations to Marcia Gay Harden (76), who won the Academy Award last night in the Best Supporting Actress category for her work in Pollock. Marcia relied on her extraordinary talents to defy the oddsmakers and walk away with the victory. (Kind of like the 65 Hornet basketball team!) As far as we know, this is certainly a first for Surrattsville. Way to go, Marcia!!
2. OLD BUT NOT COLD. Mary Kucharski (76) reminds me that the classic rock band Old But Not Cold (OBNC), who will play at Christmas in Aprils dance on 3/31 at the Clinton Moose Lodge, is made up of, among others, Surratts grads, and renowned musicians, Ron I Am The Bull Beach (71), Richard Itchy Clifton (72) and Roger (No Nickname) Owens (73). There are still some tickets left for this great time supporting a good cause. Why not celebrate Surratts Oscar win by joining this party on Saturday night? Call 301 868 0937 for ticket information.
3. ACADEMIC CONGRATULATIONS! Congratulations to Rebecca Rose Novak, daughter of Carolyn Tolson (71) and Robert Novak (71), who just made the Deans List in the very rigorous engineering program at the University of Pittsburgh, and who will be studying in England next semester.
4. A CHANCE MEETING. Justine Carpenter (Tina Gulledge, 79) shared this cool story about our beloved Mrs. Biedenkapp, former Surratts Principal and Y2K events supporter and attendee: I own a restaurant in Rehobeth Beach, Delaware. (This is why I have missed the reunions; I am the chef there also). One evening last Summer I heard a voice in my back dining room that sounded so familiar. It was the darling little Mrs. Biedenkapp. She looked wonderful, down to her glittering disco platform shoe pendant she had pinned to her extremely stylish outfit. I was most struck, however, by how truly proud she was of "one of her kids" and her genuine and warm conversation. Just thought you would like to know. My best to all my Surrattsville family.
5. LOOKING FOR CLASS RING OWNER. Mary Spies reports that her Aunt bought a Surratts high school ring at a yard sale last summer, from the Class of 70 and with the initials JDG, and that she is trying to find the owner. Please contact Mary at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help.
6. CHARLES WADDELL MEMORIAL FUND. I am very proud to report that the stewards of the Charles Waddell Memorial Fund, a scholarship fund for music and drama students at the School, have asked the Foundation to take over the administration of that Fund. I strongly encourage any alumni for whom Charlie really made a difference, or who had other meaningful music and/or drama experiences at the School, to contribute to this Fund. (Simply make checks payable to The Surrattsville High School Foundation, Inc., but write Waddell Fund on the memo line of the check.) (Does anyone know if Charlie might have had something to do with the launching of Marcia Gay Hardens dramatic career?)
7. SURRATTVILLES BASSO PROFUNDO. Many of us who attended Surratts in the late 60s and early 70s still recall fondly the extraordinary electric bass skills (and unconventional sense of humor) of John Previti (72). A Foundation Board member ran across a glowing Washington Post article about John at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp srv/entertainment/music/features/previti.htm. If you were a John Previti fan, or if youre simply a fan of great music, you might want to check it out.
8. WELCOME NEW BOARD MEMBERS! I am delighted to report that two members of the School community have agreed to join the Board of the Foundation. Carla Dickerson, the Schools scholarship coordinator and Career Center Director, will focus her efforts on engaging current students and student organizations in the work of the Foundation. Lt. Col. Daryl Umstead, the director of the Schools highly respected JROTC program, will focus his efforts on engaging the current staff of the School in the work of the Foundation. We are most grateful to Carla and Daryl for volunteering their time and expertise to the work of the Foundation.
9. FUTURE EVENTS. The Foundation will soon be publishing information about its Annual Golf Outing to be held this fall. Watch these e-Notices and the www.surrattsville.org web site for information. And dont forget the upcoming 6/24/01 Motorcycle (and Car) Ride to Colonial Beach, VA, leaving the School parking lot at 10 a.m. sharp. Finally, please mark your calendars now for Saturday June 29, 2002. Plans are being made for a Foundation fund raising concert to be held on that date that may in some ways outdo the Y2K events!
Thanks again for your continued interest in and support of the work of the Foundation! Hope youre enjoying a great start to the Spring. Henry Smith (71), email@example.com