THIS IS E-NOTICE 2001-6 OF JUNE 18, 2001
Here are some items that may be of interest:
1. MAJOR GRANT TO THE FOUNDATION. Thanks to the efforts of Foundation Board member Dan Bayne (71), the Morningside Sportsmens Club has generously donated $2,000 to the Foundations Charles Waddell Memorial Scholarship Fund. (The Waddell Fund presented a scholarship last month, and this very generous donation will help endow the Fund into the future.) We offer our sincere thanks to the Club, and our special appreciation to Dan for arranging for this significant grant.
2. MAJOR Y2K REUNION RE-CONNECTION. Heres an incredibly cool story. Two old friends, Suzanne Meilert Lubin (71) and Mark Fields (71), who ran into each other at the Y2K Reunion, are getting married on July 3, 2001 aboard the Presidential Yacht Sequoia. Best wishes for a wonderful marriage to these two long-time supporters of various Surratts alumni events!
3. HEARTFELT CONDOLENCES. Our heartfelt condolences go out to the large Maddox/Morgan family on the sudden death from a stroke of Patrick Maddox (76). Pat was a great supporter of the Foundation and a member of this years Golf Outing and Fund Raiser Committee. In fact, just before his death, Pat had started designing the program brochure for this years event. Donations in Pats memory may be made to Project Echo, a homeless shelter in Prince Frederick, MD. (Pat's stepfather, Tom Morgan is one of the original founders of Project Echo and served on its Board of Directors.)
Our heartfelt condolences also go out to Class of 72 ORC Sandy Gwynn Martin, and her family, on the death of her mother, Bertha Mary Russell, better known as Mary Jo. Mary Jo was a member of the Class of 50. Sandys Dad, Paul Gwynn, is the ORC, and only graduate, of the Class of 49.
4. WEB SITE REMINDER. Dont forget to visit the great Foundation web site, at www.surrattsville.org, from time to time to see whats new and interesting there. Our thanks go to our web master, Bill Thomas (77) for creating and maintaining this site. I note that the Message Center feature of the site is getting some increased use.
5. CLASS OF 61 REUNION. The Class of 1961 is having its 40 Year Reunion in Solomon's, Maryland between July 27 29. Interested classmates should contact Joan Penn Revis at email@example.com for additional information.
6. GRAND OPENING NEWS. I got this nice news flash from Ruth Clark Packett (an early 74 graduate who started at Surratts in the Class of 75): I started dating my husband Bruce Packett in 10th grade. He was a 1972 graduate of Potomac High School and played in area rock bands such as "Scar" and "Sassafras Tea". Anyway, 25 years later we are still married and are excited about the recent opening of our own music store south of Annapolis in Edgewater. We carry guitars, amps and accessories. The store is called Bay Tunes and is located at 827 Mayo Road (Rt. 214) in Edgewater. Good luck to Ruth and Bruce on their new musical business venture!
7. HORNET TRACK TEAM DOES IT AGAIN! Surrattsvilles small, but very talented, boys track team put on yet another stellar performance in the State track meet on Memorial Day weekend, taking 4th overall, with State championships in the 300 meter hurdles and the 110 meter hurdles, and a second place finish in the 1600 meter relay. (If I recall correctly, the Hornets were second in this years indoor track State tournament.) Congratulations to the runners and their coaches!
8. COACH LEW JENKINS. Speaking of Surratts athletics, many of you may have noticed the very nice Washington Post feature article in the Southern Maryland Extra section on April 29, with many photos, about Surrattsvilles great and legendary baseball (and wrestling) coach, Lew Jenkins. (Foundation Board member Mike Blair (71), one of Coach Jenkins great wrestlers from the strong 70-71 team, was nice enough to send me a copy.) Surrattsville gets lots of nice press in the article.
Coach Jenkins coached at Surratts from 1968 through 1993, and left, states the article, as the winningest high school baseball coach in Maryland history [with] 326 wins, a .718 winning percentage, 11 County titles and 18 consecutive post-season appearances after the State playoff system was established in 1975. The article notes that Coach Jenkins is now the similarly successful baseball coach at St. Marys College. Congratulations, Coach Jenkins!
9. LOST CLASSMATE FOUND! I received this wonderful e-mail from Jeanne McNamee (81): Dear Henry: My search for Donna Swanson is over, thanks to someone responding to the item in e-Notice 2001-5. Rix Mills (62) found Donnas daughter for me, and that led me to Donna. It was wonderful talking to her. I can't tell you how totally grateful that I am. I appreciate it so very much! So glad to have my friend back. Thanks a million! Thanks to Rix for helping Jeanne and Donna re-connect!
10. FOUNDATION DEVELOPMENTS. The Foundation continues to expand its efforts. Recently, thanks to SGA Sponsors Mary Casey and Lisa Johnson (90), Foundation representatives met with next years student leaders from the School and began planning for several joint student-Foundation projects for the 2001-2002 year. In addition, the Foundations Board continues to expand to include current students, parents, faculty and community members. Please send me an email if you have ideas for Foundation projects or if youd like to become active in the work of the Foundation. And, of course, donations to the General Fund, the Principals/Facutly/Staff Memory Fund and the Charles Waddell Memorial Scholarship Fund are always most welcome.
I hope this e-Notice finds you well and really enjoying the first days of Summer. Best regards! Henry Smith (71), firstname.lastname@example.org