THIS IS SURRATTS FOUNDATION E-NOTICE 2004-3 OF MARCH 1, 2004
Here are some items that might be of interest:
1. FOUNDATION WEB SITE RE-DESIGNED. Thanks to the tireless work of the Foundation's web master, Mike Gifford (84), the Foundation's web site has been completely re-designed. Although much of the content is the same, the web site now has a more modern look, and is easier to navigate. I hope you'll take a minute to enjoy Mike's great work at www.surrattsville.org.
2. HORNET SEEKS 1947 AND 1948 GRADS. Ottis Young (48) is trying to locate members of the Classes of 1947 and 1948. Please contact Ottis at email@example.com if you have any information that might lead Ottis to some of these grads.
3. APB FOR STOLEN CLASS RING. I received this email asking us to keep our eyes open for a missing class ring: "Hi Henry: This is Terry Forsythe (88) and my sister Shelley (80) wanted me to email you so you could maybe add to the next e-Notice that her house was broken into last week and one of the jewelry items stolen was her class ring, it has her name in it and the year is 80, so if anyone comes across it could they call her (301 868 8840). Thank you, Terry"
4. REMEMBERING THE RANCH DRIVE-IN. I received this email from our official internet maven, Wayne Tatum (74): "Hi Henry: I didn't catch this one on the main "Surrattsville" search of that Washington Post archives site: http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingtonpost_historical/124832042.html?did=124832042&FMT=ABS&FMTS=AI&desc=Where+Have+All+the+Drive Ins+Gone%3f. Wayne"
Those of you with fond memories of the Ranch Drive-in might want to check this out.
5. UPDATED 78/79 REUNION CONTACT INFO. As previously announced, the Classes of 78 and 79 are planning their upcoming joint reunion. Here's an updated email address for Class of 78 ORC Jeanne Hoffman LaRoque: firstname.lastname@example.org. (The contact info for Class of 79 ORC Sandy Pelletier Richnafsky is SandyPR@aol.com, W: 301 855 6430, Cell: 240 843 1945.)
6. ACHIEVEMENT AWARD RECIPIENT HEARD ON NPR. I received this email from Charlie Rodgers (70): "Hi Henry: This morning (02/09/04) I heard Surrattsville's own Mike Miller (60) on NPR discussing how Maryland is making lacrosse an official state sport in addition to jousting. Charlie" (Some of you lacrosse buffs may have visited the international lacrosse Hall of Fame on the Johns Hopkins campus in Baltimore.)
7. HORNET PUBLISHES POLITICAL MEMOIRS. I'm proud to report that my youngest brother, Tim Smith (74), has published a book of his memoirs from his many years spent serving as Ft. Lauderdale City Commissioner and Vice Mayor. The book is entitled "Politics 101" and shares some interesting, ground-level insights into the colorful world of local politics in America. (Though not on the NY Times bestseller list yet, copies of the book can be ordered at 954-728-9290.) Congrats to Tim on a long career of public service!
8. HORNET CHALLENGES US TO HELP. I received this email from Karen Maxey (78): "Hi Henry: The National Multiple Sclerosis Society Walk will be held on April 25, 2004, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Annapolis. Rose Knopp Hicks (78) is completely disabled because of MS. She will be living out the remainder of her life bedridden in a nursing home. Several of us from the Class of 78 are going to walk in the MS walk. I am sure that Rosie is not the only one in the history of Surrattsville to be so unfortunate as to have MS. I challenge any others from the Class of 78 or any other Class to come walk with us for Rosie and all others with MS. If you are interested, I am obtaining the information and would be glad to pass it on or you can log into www.nationalmssociety.org to obtain information. If you would like to walk with those of us who have decided to attend, we can all meet up that morning and do this together. Karen 202- 383 6746 or 410-414 2552."
9. ... AND ANOTHER HORNET CHALLENGE. I received this email from Kim Coyle Lockard (84): "Hello, Henry: I was wondering if you could pass on some information in your next e-Notice. My family was named Ambassador Family for Southern Maryland March of Dimes in 2003 and we've been asked to serve again for 2004. Our three children were all born prematurely so the March of Dimes has helped us not once, but three times. The 2004 Walkamerica events will be held on April 25th in Charles County/Laplata and on May 16th in Calvert County/Solomons. If anyone is interested in sponsoring the Southern Maryland Ambassador Family walk team, donations can be sent to: The Lockard Family, PO Box 107, Clements, MD 20624. If you are interested in walking in WalkAmerica 2004, please e mail me at email@example.com. Kim"
10. HORNET-LED CHORALE VISITS D.C. AREA. I received this email from Ken Martin: "Hi Henry: The University Chorale (which I direct) and the Handbell Choir (directed by my colleague Mrs. Nevalyn Moore) from Campbellsville University will make their annual Spring Tour between March 10 and March 17, traveling from central Kentucky to the D.C. area. The itinerary below shows the locations, dates and times for each of our concerts (this information also is available at http://www.campbellsville.edu/jkmartin/ucitin.htm). If you have any questions about our tour, please feel free to contact me. Thanks. Dr. Kenneth Martin, Professor of Music, Campbellsville University School of Music, 1 University Drive UPO 1309, Campbellsville, KY 42718, W: 270-789 5340; Cell: 270-789 7976, www.campbellsville.edu/jkmartin.
-Friday, March 12, 7:00 p.m. Parkwood Baptist Church, 8726 Braddock Rd, Annandale VA 22003 (host MinMus: Dan Garner firstname.lastname@example.org ) church phone: 703/978-8160 web site: http://www.parkwood.org/ -Sunday, March 14, First Baptist Church, 55 Adclare Rd, Rockville MD 20850 (MinMus: Rev. Bill Archer x14) church phone: 301/279-2400 web site: http://www.fbc-rockville.org/mainpage.htm
-Monday, March 15, 7:00 p.m. First Baptist Church, 811
Fifth St, Laurel MD 20707 (Pastor: Rev. Stanley Beall
MinMus: Brian Patrick
church phone: 301/725-1688.
I hope many of you are enjoying the first hints of Spring!
Best Regards, Henry Smith (71),
THANKS 2003 FOUNDATION ANNUAL CAMPAIGN DONORS!
Pat Becker Oles (71)