THIS IS SURRATTS FOUNDATION E-NOTICE 2007-5 OF MAY 1, 2007
Here are some items that might be of interest:
1. ANOTHER SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION STORY. In response to the item in the last e-Notice about Jillian King's work on the Rachel Ray Show, I received this interesting email from Suzanne Meilert Fields (71): "Hi Henry: Interesting to note about Jillian King in the e-Notice. I just received an email from the editor of the Rachael Ray show/digest that asked for samples of my Alicita Salsas and a press kit so they can run against other salsas for their best-of competition. I dont expect out of thousands it will come to much, but was thrilled that the Rachael Ray show even asked for my samples! Thanks for keeping us up on Surrattsville gang and legend. Suzanne"
[ED NOTE: I've tasted those delicious Alicita Salsas that are available at various supermarkets -- and they should win that competition hands down!]
2. CLASS OF 97 REUNION UPDATE. I received this email from Monica Crown, Class of 97 ORC, about that Class' on-going reunion planning. "Hi Henry: I just wanted to remind everyone that the 10yr 1997 Surrattsville High School Reunion will be held on August 3rd & 4th, 2007. The event on August 3rd is going to be an evening event that you will be able to see old classmates to get reacquainted before the MAIN EVENT ON August 4th. This Friday evening event will be FREE- we are going to meet at a local place & if you PRE-PAID for the weekend events then you will receive a Reunion Packet that night. On August 4th- we are going to have a Family BBQ @ Surrattsville High from 11-4. Catering will be provided. There will also be a lot of kid actives, 1997 old Memorabilia on display through out the school, DJ onsite for entertainment & much more ! The cost is $25 individual ticket & $5 per child (between the ages of 5 13). This cost is only available until JULY 15th- after that time individual ticket will be raised to $30. You can PREPAY for these events by visiting our CLASS WEBSITE @ http://shs1997reunion.blogspot.com/. (You use the PAYPAL feature located on the right side of the page) (REMEMBER this is at a DISCOUNTED cost until JULY 15th !)
The 2nd event on August 4th will be the Adult Evening Event for class members & guest only. (No kids) This will be located at the Colony South Hotel/Banquet Hall from 7pm 11pm. There will be food served, also alcoholic drinks available at an additional cost. We will have a DJ onsite to liven up the atmosphere & also a SURPRISE SPEAKER/GUEST. We are attempting to locate a comedian for the event to provide entertainment as well. At the end of the night there will be PRIZES awarded for classmembers or guest. You will be given a nice Gift Bag & 1997 10yr Reunion Wine glass/Shot glass for attending this event. The cost of the Adult Evening Event will be $60 per couple or $35 individual. These costs are only available until JULY 15th- after the individual ticket will be $70 per couple or $40 individual. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND BOTH EVENTS- the rate PER COUPLE is $100 (This includes 2 tickets to the BBQ & 2 tickets to the Adult Event) & $55 for an INDIVIDUAL ticket to both events.
SIDE BAR: Colony South is offering rooms at a discounted cost for this event. The room rate for a double occupancy is $129 per night. You need to make sure to have this reservation made by July 6th by calling 1-800-537-1147 & use the code SHS97. Also OVERNIGHT guest will receive Complimentary FULL Breakfast- served in their restaurant.
Weve attempted to keep these cost as LOW as possible, so if you would like to attend & need assistance in paying the cost please let me know personally by emailing me @ email@example.com & I will contact one of our sponsors to see if they are willing to pick up the cost due to the high price. Also in the past weeks we sent out a formal communication letter to ALL 216 class members- we received RETURN TO SENDER for a hand few- if you have not received this letter, please forward your updated contact info to Surratts97Reunion@gmail.com. Hope to see everyone in August! Monica"
3. SURRATTS MILITARY REGISTRY. Please don't forget to contact B. J. Brewer Black (72), firstname.lastname@example.org if you have information on a Hornet who serves, or has served, in the military, so he or she can be added to the list that she's preparing for us of Hornets who have served their country.
4. CLASS OF 88 REUNION PLANNING. Ameena Ali (formerly "Jeane' Bell"), email@example.com, has begun working on the Class of 88's Reunion planning. Please contact Ameena by email or phone at 517-787-6055 to make sure she has your current contact information and to get information about the Reunion.
5. AN ENERGETIC INSPIRATION. All of our readers, and perhaps especially those in the "second half-century of life", will be inspired to stay active by a little video clip on YouTube of Ann Weaver Pelle (71), and her The Villages Twirlers group, performing recently. It's great to see that the devastating storms that hit The Villages recently didn't dampen the spirit of Ann and her fellow twirlers. (Ann's the single-file twirler in blue right behind the flag carrier.) The YouTube link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBq-qX2mL58. Keep up the inspirational work, ladies! (The Twirlers also have a web site at www.thevillagestwirlers.com.)
6. A STORY OF RELIEF FROM BLACKSBURG. I received this email from Darlene Monaco (71): "Dear All: Some of you are aware that our son, Thomas Maskell, is a junior at Virgina Tech. During the terrible tragedy he was in a nearby building in English class. He called me after the first shooting to tell me he was "OK - not to worry". He said he was across campus from the dorms in a classroom, and safe. Twenty minutes later a friend at worked IM'd me and said "turn on the news - the shooter is now across campus shooting up a classroom building". I can't explain the sickening feeling that went through me. I called but none of the calls were going through. I panicked ... finally he reached me. He was again "OK" and in lockdown in his classroom. He remained in class in lockdown until after 1:00. He stayed in Blacksburg this week even though classes were cancelled. He said he had friends who couldn't get home that needed his support. Please join us in support of the Hokies with your orange and maroon, today. GO HOKIES ! Spread the word - Orange and Maroon Effect. Darlene"
I know all of our thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by the terrible tragedy at Virginia Tech.
7. DWIGHT REED (81) MEMORIAL GOLF OUTING. I received this email from Dawn Reed Schumaker (84): "Hi Henry: Would you please add the following in the next Surratts News e-Notice: The 5th Annual Dwight Reed Memorial Golf Outing will be held on Friday, June 22, 2007 at The Links at Challedon in Mt. Airy, Maryland. Anyone interested in registering a foursome or sponsoring a hole can contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. All proceeds will be donated to cancer research. Thanks! Dawn"
8. SOUTHERN MARYLAND CONCERT BAND STARTS SEASON. I've just received the following summer schedule for the great Southern Maryland Concert Band, directed by Richard "Butch" Mortimer (57 and former faculty), and including Barbara Brewer (74), Laurie Martin Roberts (74), John Ryan (74), Steve Smith (72) and Ron Eaton (69):
4/29, 3 p.m., Charles Co. Government Building, La Plata
6/9, 2:30 p.m., Charles Co. Arts Alliance Riverfest, Indian Head Village Green
7/8, 4 p.m., Chapman State Park, Bryan's Road
8/24, 7 p.m., La Plata Town Hall
9/15, 4 p.m., Charles County Fair, La Plata
9/22, TBA, St. Mary's County Fair, Leonardtown
10/7, 4 p.m., Pax River Appreciation Days, Calvert Marine Museum, Solomons Island
10/14, TBA, Clark Senior Center, La Plata
10/28, 4:30 p.m., Charles County Government Building, La Plata
10/29, Formal Concert, TBA
(There's a great photo of the Hornets in the SMCB on the web site at www.surrattsville.org.)
9. FUND RAISER, AND GET WELL WISHES, TO HORNET. I received a notice about this fund raiser from a number of Hornets: "Dear Friend: Julians Hair Designers will hold a Benefit and Silent Auction for Dawn Underwood on Sunday, May 20, 2007 from 3:00 - 7:00 p.m. As you all know, Dawn has been an employee of Julians for 26 years. More than an employee, Dawn is family. She has been diagnosed with cancer and will be receiving chemotherapy and radiation. Dawn is the proud mother of Justin, Jason, and Jenna. Dawn and her husband, John, have always been a great asset to family, friends, and the entire community. At this time, we are securing donations from businesses, organizations, and individuals for our Silent Auction. We also invite you to join us at Holland Point Civic Center (North Beach Park) the day of the event. Tickets are $25 per person. Donors can participate in the following ways: monetary donation, or donation of items (gift certificates, merchandise) for the auction.Thank you for your support. We are looking forward to a favorable response. For further information, please contact Julian's Hair Designers at 301.812.0800 or 410.286.0800. Sincerely, Teresa Zanelotti-Whitten, Joan Zanelotti-Cook and the staff of Julians Hair Designers
Send checks to:
Julians Hair Designers
2823 West Chesapeake Beach Road
Dunkirk, MD 20754, Make checks payable to The Dawn Underwood Benefit. All funds go directly to the Underwood family.
We send our best get well wishes to Dawn, and best wishes to the organizers of this nice event.
Hope you're all enjoying a great start to the Spring!
All the best, Henry Smith (71), email@example.com
THANKS TO THESE (EARLY) DONORS TO THE FOUNDATION'S 2007 CAMPAIGN
Pat Becker Oles (71)
Steve Profilet (71)
Michelle Shelley Wilson Block (68)
Sally Saker Weingarten (77)
Janet Goddard Sullivan (54), In memory of her brother, Jesse "Skip" Goddard, Jr. (56)
TERRY EMMONS (76) died last month. Terry is survived by his brother Kevin Emmons (78) and his sister Andrea Emmons Reeves (79). The family has established a web site in tribute to Terry's memory at http://web.mac.com/kevinemmons/iWeb/Kevin%20Emmons/Blog/55F88416-56FD-45F6-86D9-47D68365C3A0.html#comment_layer.