THIS IS SURRATTS FOUNDATION E-NOTICE 2003-9 OF SEPTEMBER 1, 2003
Here are some items that might be of interest.
1. 2003 ANNUAL CAMPAIGN BEGINS IN EARNEST. The Foundation is happy to announce the official opening of its informal 2003 Annual Campaign. (Several of you listed below were kind enough to send generous donations to the Foundation even before this year's campaign officially got under way.) You will recall that the Foundation counts on each year's informal Annual Campaign to replenish funds spent in the prior year, for scholarships, gifts to the School, and the like. In the past, the selfless generosity of many of you has really helped to keep the good work of the Foundation going strong. Remember: donations to the Foundation are treated as charitable donations for tax deduction purposes, and no amount is too small (or too large) to help out, since every penny donated goes directly to the work of the Foundation which has no overhead. (A donor form is reprinted below and available for printing off of the web site at www.surrattsville.org.)
(And please don't forget the Foundation's new Legacy Society, if you're inclined to do any "values-based estate planning".)
2. CLASS OF 83 PLANS REUNION. The Class of 1983 is planning its reunion weekend for November 14‑16, 2003, in Annapolis. Please send an e‑mail to Surratts83@aol.com if you would like to receive an information/registration form.
3. UPDATED CLASS OF 94 REUNION INFO. The Class of 94 is planning its 10 year Reunion. Please contact LaChelle' (Spence) Wimbish at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can provide any information on any member of the Class of 94 (or a family member of a 94 grad).
4. MORE INFO ON DRIVE-INS. I received this tip from Joanne Andreas Ridings (73/74): "Dear Henry: Regarding drive‑ins, we have one in Frederick County, VA in the little town of Stephens City. Any history buffs out there might enjoy a visit to the Shenandoah Valley anyway! Joanne"
5. 87 YEARBOOK WANTED. I received this email from Trena Stringer (87), email@example.com: "Hi Henry: I would appreciate any information anyone might have on how I can get a copy of the 1987 yearbook. Thanks, Trena" Does anyone have any ideas for Trena?
6. CLASS OF 73 REUNION PHOTOS. Joe Slayton (73) has posted some great photos of the picnic portion of the Class of 73's reunion weekend at http://www.speakeasy.org/~foozball/surratts73/Surratts_73_30th_Reunion_Photos.html. Many of the photos include Surrattstock performers "Old But Not Cold", who performed at the picnic. Many of you might enjoy taking a look at these great photos.
7. A HORNET FAMILY IN PUBLIC SERVICE. I received this fascinating email from Erin McMahan Luckeydoo (88): "Hi Henry: In response to your recent request about individuals who are in public service and are graduates, well the list is long in this family:
Ed McMahan (66) Retired Deputy Chief Clinton VFD
Erin Luckeydoo (88) 911 Dispatcher for Lake Mary Police, Lake Mary, FL
Richard McMahan (91) Paramedic in SC
David McMahan (91) Paramedic Children's Hospital (DC)
Megan McMahan Franklin (Ryken 1995) 911 Dispatcher for Seminole Co. Sheriff's Office, FL
Matthew McMahan (Ryken 1996) Applying to DC police force.
So, my Dad, who on more occasions than I can remember got up from many a holiday dinner table, has instilled a public service "itch" in the five of us who are adults. (Still two siblings left though; one in 8th grade and another in 9th.) Erin"
Our hats are off to that extremely public-spirited Hornet family!
8. POM PHOTOS WANTED. If any of you have any Pom Squad photos (from any era) you could send to Terry Myers Forsythe (88), firstname.lastname@example.org, could you do so?
9. FOUNDATION HELPING WITH RE-CONNECTIONS. An old friend of Bonnie (now called "Barney") Higgins Harris (65) heard about the item in a recent e-Notice about Bonnie's stained glass retreat in Virginia. She contacted us to get the information on the retreat, and used that to track down Bonnie. I received this nice email as a result: "Dear Henry: Thanks to the Surrattsville Foundation I found Bonnie and Zekiah Glass, and I visited with her tonight after 32 years. Your organization is terrific. Thanks again for the kind help and consideration. P. J."
10. HORNET APPEARS IN PBS DOCUMENTARY. I saw a preview last night on PBS for a documentary called "Clear the Skies" that will be airing (at least on Maryland Public TV) on Wednesday night September 10 at 8 p.m. It's a story about the control of the skies over the Northeast on 9/11/01, and I was very proud to see 2003 Foundation Achievement Award recipient Col. Bob Marr (71) featured in the preview. Thanks again to Bob and to all of the Hornets and their family members who risk their lives every day in military and public service to keep the rest of us safe.
Here's hoping your back-to-school season is off to a great start!
Best regards, Henry
2003 FOUNDATION ANNUAL CAMPAIGN DONORS
Pat Becker Oles (71)
Henry Smith (71)
Donna Rae Sturtevant Smith (70)
Kristine Seaquist Easley-Agee (70)
Lee Pascasio (64)
Steve Profilet (71), in memory of Doris Profilet
SURRATTSVILLE LEGACY SOCIETY
Donna Rae Sturtevant Smith (70)
Henry Smith (71)