THIS IS SURRATTS FOUNDATION E-NOTICE 2009-7 OF JULY 1, 2009
Here are some items that might be of interest:
1. 2009 SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS AND ALUMNI ACHIEVEMENT AWARD RECIPIENTS FEATURED ON WEBSITE. We're proud to report that the photos and bios of this year's extraordinary Foundation Scholarship, and Foundation Achievement Award, recipients are featured on the Foundation's web site at www.surrattsville.org. This year's Scholarship recipients are Harold Edmonds, Marina Anoh and Anica Davis, and they join the other great Scholarship recipients from 2000-2008 (who also are featured on the web site).
This year's Achievement Award recipients are Helen Bovbjerg Niedung (54), Chris Weller (62) and Debbie McAllister Brown (72), and they join the extraordinary group Achievement Award recipients from 2000-2008 (who also are featured on the web site).
Congratulations again to these stellar members of the Surrattsville community!
2. A DREAM DELAYED, BUT ACHIEVED. We received this very inspirational story from Linda Ann Westfall Conrad (71): "Henry: I had to write and share some great news. I graduate June 27 from Strayer University after a 30-year gap in college. I will have my Bachelors in Business Administration. The reason I am writing is to share with all the Hornets who think because they didn't get their college in after high school, it's too late. I will be 57 in January, a grandmother of three, and another on the way, and I went back to college around age 54. I didn't have the luxury of going when I graduated from Surrattsville in 1971. I was married that November, had children and went only part time. I had to take some time off from college while working full time, going to school only at night. With two kids, it didn't work out and I dropped out. I finally returned after 30 years. I was one of the oldest in the classes at night, but it goes to prove that, at any age, we can do whatever we want! I raised two daughters and both have college degrees from University of Maryland and are very successful, married businesswomen and mothers. And now as a mother and a grandmother, with 34 years in government service, I finally achieved my college dream and have hopes of doing a Master's degree in the fall! I love keeping up with the Surrattsville news and alumni! Linda"
[Ed note: And we're very proud to report that Linda not only graduated, but graduated magna cum laude, on June 27! Score one for us more "mature" Hornets!]
3. HISTORICAL SURRATT REFERENCE CORRECTION. In the last e-Notice, we reported that, on the April 30 "Jeopardy" show, the following $1200 question appeared in the category "Mary, Mary": "Born in Waterloo, MD, she met her Waterloo on the gallows on July 7, 1985." Even more surprisingly, a contestant got the right answer! (Mary Surratt, of course) Of course, Mary Surratt was hanged in 1865, not "1985," as the typo in our item indicated!
4. PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO PLAN FOR THE FOUNDATION'S 2010 ALL CLASSES/FACULTY/STAFF EVENTS. Please don't forget to mark your calendar for the Foundation's third "All Classes/Faculty/Staff" events to be held over the long weekend of Friday June 25 - Sunday June 27, 2010. The schedule of events is as follows:
-Friday June 25, 2010 - Golf Outing.
-Friday June 25, 2010, 7 P.M. - 11 P.M. - Surrattstock III.
-Saturday June 26, 2010, 10 A.M. - 4 P.M. - All Classes/Faculty/Staff Picnic and School Open House.
-Saturday June 26, Evening - Saturday evening will be set aside for Class-specific events.
-Sunday June 27 - Sunday will be set aside for Class-specific picnics and other informal gatherings.
5. UPDATE ON FOUNDATION PRESENCE ON FACEBOOK. There are now over 700 members of the Surrattsville Alumni "Group" on Facebook. It can be found by going on Facebook, entering "Groups," then entering "Search for Groups," and then entering "Surrattsville Alumni". (You will know you are at the correct site if you see a color photo of the front of the "New School" when you get there.) The url of the Group is http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49215776591.
Please consider joining this Group on Facebook -- it's free -- because we will be posting information about upcoming Foundation events there.
In addition, please consider joining your Class's Class-specific Group on Facebook, many of them titled simply "Surrattsville [Year]" (for example, "Surrattsville 1970," "Surrattsville 1971," etc.), as a way to keep connected with classmates and news on upcoming Class-specific events. For example, the Class of 76 has over 80 members on its Facebook Group, "Surrattsville HS 1976 Alumni".
6. CLASSES OF 83 AND 84 REUNION. The Classes of 83 and 84 will be having a joint reunion in August 2009. On August 7th, there will be golf with tee times starting at 10:00 a.m. at Blue Mash Golf Course in Laytonsville, MD. On August 8th, from 7:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., there will be a Social at the Marriott Inn and Conference Center at UMUC in Adelphi, MD. On August 9th, from 11:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., there will be a picnic at Greenbelt National Park in Greenbelt, MD.
The Classes are in search of any teachers or faculty from the years 81 - 84 interested in attending. Also, they'd like to locate any classmates that still may be missing. Faculty can contact Gary Stallings at email@example.com. Class of 83 classmates can contact Becky DelVillar Levin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Class of 84 classmates can contact Debbie O'Clair MacKenzie at email@example.com.
7. CLASSES OF 69-74 JOINT REUNION SET. The Classes of 69-74 are holding a multi-Class dinner dance event, at the Ft. Belvoir Officer's Club, on the Saturday evening of the All Classes/Faculty/Staff events (June 26, 2010). Tickets are limited, so please contact Leslie St. Clair (70) at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to purchase tickets.
(Class of 72 members also should check-in with the 72 ORC, Sandy Gwynn Martin, at email@example.com for information.)
8. POSSIBLE 80/81 REUNION. The Classes of 80 and 81 are planning a possible reunion for June 2010. They need a contact person for the Class of 80. Please contact Teresa Blandford Pepper at firstname.lastname@example.org to provide contact info.
9. CLASS OF 89 PLANS REUNION. The Class of 89 is planning a reunion. Please contact Debbie Owen Pell at email@example.com for information or if you have any contact information for 89 grads or members of their families.
10. CLASS OF 85 SCHEDULES REUNION. The Class of 1985 has scheduled its 25th Reunion for July 16 and 17, 2010, celebrating with a Mix & Mingle Reception and an All-Day Family Picnic. The Class is still searching for some classmates, so please send any contact info you have to Mary Beth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. SURRATTS COOKBOOK. As previously reported, Leslie St. Clair (70) and Diane "Cookie" Boyd (71) are putting together a Cookbook of Hornets' Favorite Recipes. They're hoping that a number of you will submit recipes, and they'll break them down by category and have them bound and offer them for sale at the 2010 All Classes/Faculty/Staff events. All proceeds will go to the Foundation. If you have a recipe you'd like to share, please send it to Leslie and Cookie at email@example.com.
12. REQUEST TO CLASS OF 71. Your editor, in his capacity of Class of 71 ORC, is asking members of the Class of 71 to consider joining the Facebook Group for the Class, "Surrattsville 1971," which is found at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=47813414650&ref=ts. This should be an invaluable way for us to stay connected during the run-up to our "40th" Reunion on June 26, 2010.
I hope this e-Notice finds you well and looking forward to a great July 4 holiday!
All the best, Henry Smith (71)
SUE PORTER (63) passed away on June 5, 2009 at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring, MD.
MANY THANKS TO THESE (EARLY) DONORS TO THE 2009 CAMPAIGN!
Steve Profilet (71)
Bob Marr (71)
Debbie Cox Marr (72)
Teri Pepper Dimsey (77), In veneration of my classmates turning 50 this year
T. Summers Gwynn III (64), In memory of BillGwynn (64)
Ann Weaver Pelle (71)
Donna Rae Sturtevant Smith (70)
Henry Smith (71)
Jeanine Carroll Maclary (73), In Memory of Her Brother, James R. Carroll, Jr.
Vicky Simontacchi Young (57)
Linda Dorsey Blum (66)
Arvid Andresen (65)
Judy Gordon Mentlik (65), In Memory of Greg White (65), David Shriver (65) and Laura Chovan (former faculty)
Ellen Talbert-Miller (61, former Faculty and Administration), In memory of Lillian Holland
Dan Bayne (71)