THIS IS SURRATTS FOUNDATION E-NOTICE 2012-1 OF JANUARY 1, 2012
Here are some items that might be of interest:
1. 2011 ANNUAL CAMPAIGN SETS RECORD! Thanks to the many very generous donors below, the Foundation's 2011 Annual Campaign was its most successful to date, and by a very wide margin. Many thanks to the Foundation's many donors, who make the work of the Foundation possible!
2. CONGRATULATIONS TO VICTORIOUS MIDDLE STATES FACILITIES COMMITTEE. As noted in the last e-Notice, the Foundation recently was proud to present gifts to the members of the Surrattsville faculty who served on the victorious Middle States Facilities Committee at the School. Congratulations to these outstanding Surrattsville educators: Neil Carriere, Chester Green, Pat Smith, Laurie Trotter, Francis Carroll, Linda Williams, Rhonda Erwin, Chairperson!
3. FORMER FACULTY MEMBER RECOGNIZED IN BOOK DEDICATION. We have often shared memories about the wonderful impact various administrators, faculty members and staffers had on students at Surratts. (As examples, see the numerous School personnel among the Foundation's Achievement Award recipients featured at www.surrattsville.org.)
We just learned that the latest book of poetry for children by Dave Crawley (65), "Reading, Rhyming, and 'Rithmetic," includes a dedication inscription to Dave's English teacher at Surratts, Helen Orleans. What a fitting tribute to a great Surrattsville educator who had a significant impact, in the "reading and rhyming" department, on many Surrattsville students. ("Reading, Rhyming, and 'Rithmetic"is Dave's third children's book, following his "Cat Poems" and "Doug Poems.")
4. ACHIEVEMENT AWARD RECIPIENT FEATURED ON NATIONAL TV. Achievement Award recipient Ann Weaver Pelle (71) and her team, The Villages Twirlers and Drum Corp, marched in the Citrus Bowl parade yesterday. The parade will be televised at various times around the country. For example, it will be televised on WJLA/ABC in D.C., and on WFTV/ABC in Orlando, at 2 p.m. on January 7. (Ann has the full worldwide schedule, and would be happy to send it to you if you email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.) The team is slot #17 in the parade, and the team is in the running for the parade's "People's Choice Award." Congratulations to Ann and her very busy team on this nice event!
5. NEW PHOTOS ON WEB SITE. Thanks to our readers, there are a number of new historical, and recent, photos on the "Photos" page on the web site at www.surrattsville.org that might be of interest to many of our readers. If you have any photos that you think might be of interest to our readers and web site visitors please send them to me at email@example.com.
6. SUMMER INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY FOR STUDENTS. Neal Dawson (73) has sent another exciting summer internship opportunity for college and grad school students, and details are pasted at the end of this email. Note that the deadline for application for this opportunity is January 6. Thanks, Neal!
7. MORE CHOIR MEMORIES. We received these great musical memories from Carol Tisdale Witsell (64): "I’m responding to the recent e-Notice item referencing the Surrattsville Choir. I was in the choir from 1960-1964. The director then was Mrs. Jean Morehead. She was a huge influence on me and was like a second mother. I loved her dearly. Anyway, I have several pictures of the choir during that time and would be happy to share. I was fortunate to have been selected for “State Chorus” during my junior and senior years and have the old 78 records from that time period still. Carol"
[Ed note: For our younger readers, "records" were things that made music like CDs, and "78" was how many revolutions they made per minutes when played on something called a "Victrola!"]
And we received these nice musical memories from Syd Savage Lemieux (71): "The lyrics to The Prayer are as follows:
‘Grant us a common faith, that we shall know
the gift of being one,
We sang it a capella and it always brought tears. I sang in the choir as well, although did not make the trip to Europe. Last I communicated with Miss Willets she was teaching at St. Mary's College. That was a while ago! Syd"
8. CLASS OF 62 PLANS 50 YEAR REUNION. The Class of 62 is planning its 50 Year Reunion. Here are the details from the Reunion Committee: "Crystal City Marriott, Crystal City, VA, June 22, 23 and 24, 2012, Dinner on Saturday Night June 23. Party like you're 18 again! Party like it's 1962! Reunion Committee: Terry Buckley Osman (firstname.lastname@example.org) 410-320-2668 or 410-586-3911, Kathy Dorsey Larrabee (email@example.com) 410-353-3432 or 410-897-0332, Jerry Spence (firstname.lastname@example.org) 240-216-0189 or 240-419-2661, Len Owens (email@example.com) 443-206-2567. Please join us on Facebook if you are a member.
9. SEARCH THE WEB AND SUPPORT THE FOUNDATION. Some of our readers use the goodsearch.com web search function to do their web searching, and by doing so generate automatic contributions by goodsearch.com to the Foundation. To use goodsearch.com as your search engine and to designate the Foundation as the beneficiary of donations by goodsearch.com, simply by going to goodsearch.com and, at the "Choose Your Cause" button enter "Surrattsville Foundation" (and that will take you to a page that says "Surrattsville High School Foundation (Baltimore – MD)" (the mailing address for the Foundation.
Thanks for considering this painless, and free, way to support the Foundation every time you search the web!
10. REQUEST FOR PRINCIPALS' PHOTOS FOR LEGACY WALL. As noted in the last e-Notice, the Foundation is seeking photos of all of Surrattsville's Principals (since 1907!) to include on the new, Foundation-sponsored "Legacy Hall" at the School. If you have any paper copies of photos of Principals that you would be willing to snail mail to us for scanning and a prompt return to you, please mail them to Henry Smith, 1 W. Pennsylvania Avenue, Suite 950, Towson, MD 21204. If you have the ability to scan a digital copy of a Principal's photo – perhaps from your yearbook – please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can tell you if we already have that particular photo. If we don't, and you could kindly scan the photo and email it to us that would be great. (Especially if the scan is "high resolution," which is better for enlarging to 8 x 10 size for framing.)
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide with this latest Foundation project.
11. COLLECTED SCHOLARSHIP AND ACHIEVEMENT AWARD PHOTOS NOW ON WEB SITE. As reported in the last e-Notice, we're delighted to report that the collected photos of all of the Foundation's Scholarship recipients and Achievement Award recipients (since 2000) are now accessible on one page on the web site by clicking the "Photos" button on the home page (at www.surrattsville.org). Larger photos, and full bios, of those outstanding members of the Surrattsville community may be found by clicking the Scholarship and Achievement Award buttons on the web site.
12. FOUNDATION FACEBOOK PRESENCE CONTINUES TO GROW. The Foundation's Facebook Group – called "Surrattsville Alumni" – continues to grow, and is now approaching 1300 members. This is a great, and free, way for folks to stay in touch. Similarly, the Class-specific Facebook Groups – that have names like "Surrattsville 1971" and the like -- continue to grow. Please consider joining the Surrattsville Alumni Group, and your own Class-specific Group, to get the latest news on alumni events.
13. BOOMERANGS AVAILABLE. The Foundation has a limited supply of yearbooks from 1991, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006. If you'd like one of these yearbooks (which are available for $15 including shipping and handling), please send me an email to email@example.com.
14. ALL CLASSES/FACULTY/STAFF DIRECTORIES AVAILABLE. Thanks to the herculean work of Pat Becker Oles (71), the Foundation's 2000 Alumni/Faculty/Staff Directory has been updated for 2010, and now includes fascinating "what I'm up to" paragraphs from those who submitted directory information. If you would like a copy of the Directory, send a $20 check payable to the Foundation to: Henry Smith, One W. Pennsylvania Avenue, Suite 950, Towson, MD 21204.
15. "SURRATTSVILLE ALUMNI" WINDOW STICKERS AVAILABLE. Pat Becker Oles (71) also kindly handles the Foundation's "Surrattsville Alumni" window stickers project. Pat notes that the stickers are not the "static cling type," that stick to the inside of a window. Instead, they are the "stick to the outside type," that can stick on a window or bumper, and use "repositional adhesive" (meaning no sticky residue). Information about purchasing the stickers can be found on the web site at surrattsville.org.
16. CLASS OF 97 PLANS REUNION. The Class of 97 is busy planning its 15 year reunion for mid-summer 2012. The Class has a web page at http://shs1997reunion.blogspot.com/2011/05/shs-class-of-1997-2012-15yr-reunion.html. Please contact Monica Crown at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like information on the event or if you have any contact info for members of the Class of 97 or their families.
Here's hoping your 2012 gets off to a fantastic start! Henry Smith (71)
CLAUDE BROOKE (57) died late last year. He is survived by his sister, Diane Boykin.
DAVID MITCHKA (79) died on December 2, 2011. He is survived by his wife Suzanne Mitchka, daughters Tyler Mitchka and Bailey Mitchka, mother Mary Lee Mitchkam, and sisters Lara Mitchka and Kathy Silver. He was preceded in death by his father John C. Mitchka. A celebration of David's life took place at The Community Church, 19790 Ashburn Road, Ashburn VA 20147 on December 12, 2011. Donations can be made to BB&T, Attn: Mitchka Family Fund, 3850 Dulles South Ct., Suite A, Chantilly VA 20151. Condolences may be sent to www.colonialfuneralhome.com.
Patricia Becker Oles
Patricia Becker Oles
INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY -- Applications for NREIP Now Being Accepted
Do you know a college undergraduate or graduate student who is majoring in science and engineering and is looking for a summer internship? If so, the Naval Research Enterprise Intern Program (NREIP) may be just what they are looking for!
Applications are currently being accepted for the summer 2012 Naval Research Enterprise Intern Program (NREIP). NREIP is an Office of Naval Research (ONR) sponsored program that encourages college students to experience a 10 week internship relevant to their science and engineering major. The program provides students' exposure to the everyday practice of engineering and research at DOD laboratories across the country. Students applying to the program can select from over a dozen Navy laboratories and centers, including the Carderock Division at either the West Bethesda or Philadelphia location.
Students will receive a stipend for the 10 week internship, ranging from $5,250 for sophomore undergraduate students, $7,880 for junior and senior undergrads, and $10,500 for graduate students. Payments are in four (4) installments.
Applicants must be U.S. Citizens, although permanent resident aliens are considered by some laboratories. To apply and to get more program details, students must go to http://nreip.asee.org. The application deadline is 6 January 2012 @ 4:00 p.m.
If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Steven Ouimette @ 301-227-4219.