THIS IS SURRATTS FOUNDATION E-NOTICE 2012-8 OF AUGUST 1, 2012
Here are some items that might be of interest:
1. CLASS OF 57 PLANS REUNION. The Class of 1957 will hold its 55 year reunion on September 8, 2012 at Drum Point Club in Lusby, Maryland. There will be an informal gathering at one of the restaurants on Solomons Island Friday evening September 7, 2012 (details to follow). Please contact June Sellner Payne (301-609-8572, Juniepay@aol.com) or Rick Pope (H: 804-580-8144, cell: 301-602-8982, email: firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
2. CLASS OF 97 PLANS REUNION. The Class of 97 15-year reunion will be held on August 12, 2012. Tickets are $8 for adults and $2 for kids. The event location will be held at Cosca Regional Park in Clinton at Pavilion 1. Please contact Monica Crown at email@example.com for details or to purchase tickets.
3. CLASSES OF 80 AND 81 PLAN REUNION. The Classes of 80 and 81 are planning a reunion on September 22, 2012 from 3 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. at the Izaak Walton League, 4200 Gardineer Road, Waldorf, MD 20601. The event will feature the John Luskey Band and the Sam Grow Band. The Classes will be updating the event page on Facebook with the cost and other details. Contact Teresa Pepper at Teresa at dlpinc.net for information.
4. FOULOIS JUNIOR HIGH REUNION. We received this interesting email from Jim Lawrence: "Some of the kids who attended Foulois Junior High with me are arranging a get together for kids around our ages. It's scheduled for September 2 at the home of Debbie Hill in Stafford, Virginia. The reason I'm writing you is that kids who lived on Andrews AFB attended Foulois and a lot of them went on to attend Surrattsville. Interested Foulois alumni can go to Facebook and type "Foulois get together" in the box at the top of Facebook and they'll find the page. It will tell them who's attending, who's a "maybe," and will have a lot of posts about the event, including pictures from the old yearbooks. I believe the event is targeted mostly towards kids who graduated high school between 1972 and 1974 but they've opened it up to a few surrounding graduates who attended with them - like me - I graduated in 1975. Best, Jim"
5. FOUNDATION FACEBOOK PRESENCE CONTINUES TO GROW. The Foundation's Facebook Group – called "Surrattsville Alumni" – continues to grow, and is now is just one or two folks shy of 1400 members. This is a great, and free, way for folks to stay in touch. Similarly, the Class-specific Facebook Groups – that have names like "Surrattsville 1973" and the like -- continue to grow. Please consider joining the Surrattsville Alumni Group, and your own Class-specific Group, to get the latest news on alumni events.
6. MANY NEW PHOTOS ON FOUNDATION WEBSITE. There are a number of interesting new photos on the Foundation's website at www.surrattsville.org, including photos of the very nice award the Foundation recently received from the NAACP, this year's Scholarship and Achievement Award recipients, and the Foundation's new Legacy Wall at the School. If any of our readers have historical photos of the School we would love to have them for the Foundation's photo collection.
Here's hoping you're enjoying a wonderful summer! Henry Smith (71)
John Mathena, band director at Surrattsville from 1951-1970, passed away on June 14, 2012 (Flag Day.) He loved John Phillip Sousa marches. He was 90 and had a perfect mind up until his death, fondly remembering students and his days at Surrattsville. He was buried with full military honors as a Navy veteran, at the Eastern Shore Veteran's Cemetery in Beulah, MD. He is survived by his wife Patricia Mathena and daughter Ann Mathena (80.)