THIS IS SURRATTS FOUNDATION E-NOTICE 2012-9 OF SEPTEMBER 1, 2012
Here are some items that might be of interest:
1. CLASS OF 77 REUNION EVENTS. We received this email about the Class of 77 reunion events happening in just two weeks: "Hey all you boys and girls of the Class of 1977! 35th Reunion lawn party, Saturday, September 15 from 2:00 pm till…..well till we get tired….at Ronnie and Corinne Cook's home at 3020 Honey Cove Court, Prince Frederick, MD 20678 and wow it is beautiful - we laid out the plans for the catering truck (alumni Mike Hicks), the tent and our singer Deanna Dove (5 to 7pm). If you are daring enough bring your bathing suit. Of course we have a few surprises in store for you too! Please RSVP on Classmates.com so we get a good number for food and beer/soda/water costs and make your small payment of $25.00 (can't beat that deal). Make payment on Paypal from your email to SHS772012@aol.com. This would be a tremendous help. September 15th is not that far away - see ya soon. For those Class Crashers - you are more than welcome to attend; we got over our rivalry and are all okay with mingling with other classes :) Cost is still the same for you as for us $25.00 so please be prepared to pay cash at the door or preferably pre-pay on Paypal from your email to SHS772012@aol.com. We want to make sure we have plenty of great food and drinks on hand for everyone to have a great time. As always, Friday night, September 14 is happy hour at the Colony South in Clinton at 5:00 pm. Reunion will be catered by alumni Mike Hicks -- refreshments (beer, sodas, water) provided but please feel free to BYOB. Identifiers will be given out as you enter. Sign up on classmates.com to RSVP - Go Hornets! Rain date is 9/16 - same time & place. Teri, email@example.com"
2. CLASS OF 92 REUNION. The Class of 92 will hold its 20 year reunion on September 15, 2012 from 7:30 – 11:00 p.m. at Herrington Harbor in North Beach, Maryland. If you are interested in attending please call Monica Evans at 301-651-0929 or firstname.lastname@example.org by September 5, 2012.
3. CLASS OF 64 GETS EARLY START ON 50 YEAR REUNION. And we received this announcement about the Class of 64's upcoming golden event: "The Class of 1964 is planning a 50th reunion in Ocean City for late September 2014. It might seem a long way off, but we all know how fast time goes by. We need to firm up a place, reserve a block of rooms to set aside, and determine how much space we will need. Please email Ginger Trapanotto, email@example.com or Phil Foster, firstname.lastname@example.org if you (alone or with a guest) are interested in attending. Also, if you know the whereabouts of any former classmate, please ask him/her to email one of us or you can forward the information to us. We appreciate any help you can provide and the "committee" is looking forward to re-visiting the 60s with everyone."
4. CLASS OF 57 PLANS REUNION. The Class of 1957 will hold its 55 year reunion on September 8, 2012 at Drum Point Club in Lusby, Maryland. There will be an informal gathering at one of the restaurants on Solomons Island Friday evening September 7, 2012 (details to follow). Please contact June Sellner Payne (301-609-8572, Juniepay@aol.com) or Rick Pope (H: 804-580-8144, cell: 301-602-8982, email: email@example.com) for more information.
5. CLASSES OF 80 AND 81 PLAN REUNION. The Classes of 80 and 81 are planning a reunion on September 22, 2012 from 3 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. at the Izaak Walton League, 4200 Gardineer Road, Waldorf, MD 20601. The event will feature the John Luskey Band and the Sam Grow Band. The Classes will be updating the event page on Facebook with the cost and other details. Contact Teresa Pepper at Teresa at dlpinc.net for information.
6. FOULOIS JUNIOR HIGH REUNION APPROACHES. We received this interesting email from Jim Lawrence: "Some of the kids who attended Foulois Junior High with me are arranging a get together for kids around our ages. It's scheduled for September 2 at the home of Debbie Hill in Stafford, Virginia. The reason I'm writing you is that kids who lived on Andrews AFB attended Foulois and a lot of them went on to attend Surrattsville. Interested Foulois alumni can go to Facebook and type "Foulois get together" in the box at the top of Facebook and they'll find the page. It will tell them who's attending, who's a "maybe," and will have a lot of posts about the event, including pictures from the old yearbooks. I believe the event is targeted mostly towards kids who graduated high school between 1972 and 1974 but they've opened it up to a few surrounding graduates who attended with them - like me - I graduated in 1975. Best, Jim"
7. "CLASS OF 71 TURNS 60" EVENT. The Class of 71 is planning a "Class of 71 Turns 60" gathering for July 25-July 29, 2013. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to be placed on the list for information about this gathering.
8. FOUNDATION FACEBOOK PRESENCE CONTINUES TO GROW. The Foundation's Facebook Group – called "Surrattsville Alumni" – continues to grow, and now has over 1400 members. This is a great, and free, way for folks to stay in touch. Similarly, the Class-specific Facebook Groups – that have names like "Surrattsville 1971" and the like -- continue to grow. Please consider joining the Surrattsville Alumni Group, and your own Class-specific Group, to get the latest news on alumni events.
9. MANY NEW PHOTOS ON FOUNDATION WEBSITE. There are a number of interesting new photos on the Foundation's website at www.surrattsville.org, including photos of the very nice award the Foundation recently received from the NAACP, this year's Scholarship and Achievement Award recipients, and the Foundation's new Legacy Wall at the School. If any of our readers have historical photos of the School we would love to have them for the Foundation's photo collection.
Here's hoping you're having a great end-of-summer! Henry Smith (71)