THIS IS SURRATTS FOUNDATION E-NOTICE 2013-1 OF JANUARY 1, 2013
Here are some items that might be of interest:
ACHIEVEMENT AWARD RECIPIENT PROMOTED AND
APPOINTED TOP AIR FORCE PHYSICIAN.
We are extremely proud to report that Foundation Achievement Award
recipient Lt. Gen. Tom Travis, M.D. (72) has been awarded a third
star and appointed as the 21st
Surgeon General of the United States Air Force.
Congratulations to Tom on this very singular achievement!
[Ed. notes: The Foundation believes that Tom now is the highest-ranking military officer in the School's over century-long history. The photos and bios of Tom and the Foundation's other Achievement Award recipients – a number of whom have had very distinguished military careers -- can be found on the Foundation's web site at www.surrattsville.org. And photos of these recipients are featured along the Foundation's Legacy Hall beyond the main office at School.]
2. ACHIEVEMENT AWARD RECIPIENT FEATURED ON ABC NEW YEAR'S MORNING. We just learned that Foundation Achievement Award recipient Ann Weaver Pelle (71), and her Villages Twirlers group, will be featured at 11 a.m., on New Year's Day, on ABC. They'll be performing in the Citrus Bowl Parade. Congratulations to Ann and her perpetually young teammates on this nice national exposure!
3. 2012 ANNUAL CAMPAIGN A HUGE SUCCESS. Thanks to the extraordinary generosity of the many donors listed below, the Foundation's 2012 annual campaign was its most successful to date. A heartfelt thanks all of you for your support of the mission of the Foundation!
4. FOUNDATION PARTICIPATES IN FIRST ANNUAL CAREERS ASSEMBLY. On December 14, the Foundation was invited to send a representative as a speaker at the School's first annual Careers Assembly (and your editor had that distinct privilege). The assembly featured a number of alumni and other speakers, and focused on the exciting paths ahead for this year's seniors. It was an honor for the Foundation to participate in this great event at the School.
5. FOUNDATION TO INSTALL FALLEN HEROES PLAQUE IN LEGACY HALL. Last year, the Foundation installed the new Legacy Hall at the School (in the main hallway leading away from the office). Currently, the Hall features photos of all of the Foundation's Scholarship and Achievement Award recipients, and a number of historical framed objects concerning the School (including the earliest known photo of "The Surrattsville School"). Thanks to the efforts of Bob Jeter (64), the Foundation is preparing a Fallen Heroes plaque to hang in the Legacy Hall that will contain the names and Class years of Hornets who died while serving the country (or later from service-related injuries). Please contact Bob at firstname.lastname@example.org if you know of any names that should be honored in this way.
[Ed note: Photos of the Legacy Wall can be found on the Foundation's web site at www.surrattsville.org.]
6. CLASS OF 64 50 YEAR REUNION. We received this announcement about the Class of 64's upcoming golden event: "The Class of 1964 is planning a 50th reunion in Ocean City for late September 2014. It might seem a long way off, but we all know how fast time goes by. We need to firm up a place, reserve a block of rooms to set aside, and determine how much space we will need. Please email Ginger Trapanotto, email@example.com or Phil Foster, firstname.lastname@example.org if you (alone or with a guest) are interested in attending. Also, if you know the whereabouts of any former classmate, please ask him/her to email one of us or you can forward the information to us. We appreciate any help you can provide and the "committee" is looking forward to re-visiting the 60s with everyone."
7. "CLASS OF 71 TURNS 60" EVENT. The Class of 71 is planning a "Class of 71 Turns 60" gathering for July 25-July 29, 2013. If you are a Class of 71 member and would like to be placed on the list for information about this gathering, please send me an email at email@example.com. (If you believe you are on the list, and have not received each of the first three updates, please send me an email so we can check on any transmission problems.)
8. FOUNDATION FACEBOOK PRESENCE CONTINUES TO GROW. The Foundation's Facebook Group – called "Surrattsville Alumni" – continues to grow, and now has over 1420 members. This is a great, and free, way for folks to stay in touch. Similarly, the Class-specific Facebook Groups – that have names like "Surrattsville 1973" and the like -- continue to grow. These Facebook Groups are becoming an increasingly active way for folks to share memories and news updates of interest to the Surrattsville community. Please consider joining the Surrattsville Alumni Group, and your own Class-specific Group.
Here's hoping your 2013 gets off to a great start! Henry Smith (71)
MANY THANKS TO THESE GENEROUS DONORS TO THE 2012 CAMPAIGN!