THIS IS SURRATTS FOUNDATION E-NOTICE 2013-2 OF FEBRUARY 1, 2013
Here are some items that might be of interest:
1. FOUNDATION WORKING TO INSTALL FALLEN HEROES PLAQUE IN LEGACY HALL. As previously reported, last year the Foundation installed the new Legacy Hall at the School (in the main hallway leading away from the office). Currently, the Hall features photos of all of the Foundation's Scholarship and Achievement Award recipients, and a number of historical framed objects concerning the School (including the earliest known photo of "The Surrattsville School"). Members of the Surrattsville community are encouraged to drop by the School to view this very interesting display.
Now, thanks to the efforts of Bob Jeter (64), the Foundation is preparing a Fallen Heroes plaque to hang in the Legacy Hall that will contain the names and Class years of Hornets who died while serving the country (or later from service-related injuries). Please contact Bob at firstname.lastname@example.org if you know of any Hornets who should be honored in this way.
Also, please contact Bob if you can confirm that any of the following service people were Surrattsville grads:
From Clinton: Capt Jeffrey Lyndol Harris, 1Lt Stephen Edward Shields, Pvt James Joseph Wagner.
From Camp Springs: Sgt Stephen Lawrence Havas, Sp5 Dean Gilman Owen, Sgt Robert William Vaden, 2Lt Robert Edward Knadle, LCPL Joseph Nelson Stevens, Cpl Robert Gene O’Connell, 1Lt Marthell Traylor, Jr.
From Brandywine: Cpl Clifford Craig Blend, Jr., Cpl Jan Franklin Wilson, PFC Charles Gonzie Gray, Sp5 John Sylvester Nutwell.
[Ed note: Photos of the Legacy Wall can be found on the Foundation's web site at www.surrattsville.org.]
2. HORNET REPORTS YEARBOOK-SHARING SITE. We received this email from Rick Torrecarion (74): "There is a web page that contains a process for people to send in their yearbooks and have them scanned and returned. It is: :) http://schoolfeed.classmates.com/yearbook.php?tc=home-todoscan-click#section=scan&tc=home-todoscan-click. Our fellow Hornets can break out all those old yearbooks collecting dust and share them with us through this classmates.com service. They are looking for yearbooks that are 1988 and older. If you mail your yearbook to them they will make copies of it and post it on their site and they will also make copies available for purchase for other folks who would like to have a copy. They will pay for all shipping costs to them and back. Wouldn't it be great if we could get someone from each class to send a copy for every year before 1988 and then we would have a permanent archive of all the old Surrattsville yearbooks available for anyone who would want to have their own copy or just browse them on the classmates.com site. Rick"
3. ACHIEVEMENT AWARD NOMINEES SOUGHT. This time each year, the Foundation Board requests our readers to submit nominations for the Foundation's annual Achievement Awards. All members of the greater Surrattsville community are eligible to be nominated for notable achievements in any area. Please submit names of worthy candidates to email@example.com.
(Photos and bios of the absolutely extraordinary Achievement Award recipients from past years may be found on the Foundation's web site at www.surrattsville.org. These distinguished individuals represent everything from an Oscar winner, to long-term Surratts staffers, to a recipient of the French Legion of Honor.)
4. FOUNDATION PARTNERS AGAIN WITH PTSA. Some of our readers will remember the Foundation's joint project with the PTSA last May to provide "Tekau's Treasure Chests" to five graduating seniors. We are delighted to report that the Foundation is once again working on a number of initiatives with this year's PTSA. We thank the PTSA for reaching out to us, and we'll report on those initiatives in future e-Notices.
5. CLASS OF 64 50 YEAR REUNION. We received this announcement about the Class of 64's upcoming golden event: "The Class of 1964 is planning a 50th reunion in Ocean City for late September 2014. It might seem a long way off, but we all know how fast time goes by. We need to firm up a place, reserve a block of rooms to set aside, and determine how much space we will need. Please email Ginger Trapanotto, firstname.lastname@example.org or Phil Foster, email@example.com if you (alone or with a guest) are interested in attending. Also, if you know the whereabouts of any former classmate, please ask him/her to email one of us or you can forward the information to us. We appreciate any help you can provide and the "committee" is looking forward to re-visiting the 60s with everyone."
6. "CLASS OF 71 TURNS 60" EVENT. The Class of 71 is planning a "Class of 71 Turns 60" gathering for July 25-July 29, 2013. If you are a Class of 71 member and would like to be placed on the list for information about this gathering, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. FOUNDATION FACEBOOK PRESENCE CONTINUES TO GROW. The Foundation's Facebook Group – called "Surrattsville Alumni" – continues to grow, and now has 1430 members. This is a great, and free, way for folks to stay in touch. Similarly, the Class-specific Facebook Groups – that have names like "Surrattsville 1979" and the like -- continue to grow. These Facebook Groups are becoming an increasingly active way for folks to share memories and news updates of interest to the Surrattsville community. Please consider joining the Surrattsville Alumni Group, and your own Class-specific Group.
Here's hoping you're enjoying a wonderful winter season! Henry Smith (71)
CHARLOTTE ANNE BROWN (61) died on November 8th 2012. She is survived by her partner Fran Kidwell (60), her brother Bob Brown (66), her nephews Connor Brown (age 6) and Nathan Brown (age 12), and her niece Emily Brown (age 10).
MANY THANKS TO THESE (VERY EARLY) DONORS TO THE 2013 CAMPAIGN!
MANY THANKS TO THESE GENEROUS DONORS TO THE 2012 CAMPAIGN!