THIS IS SURRATTS FOUNDATION E-NOTICE 2014-4 OF APRIL 1, 2014
Here are some items that might be of interest:
1. ANNUAL BLUE CRABS EVENT TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE. As noted in previous e-Notices, the annual 2014 Blue Crabs All Classes Game and Picnic event – to be held on Saturday June 21 -- will be a Foundation fund raiser! Specifically, $5 of each ticket will be donated to the Foundation's annual Charlie Waddell Memorial Scholarship. In addition to the features of the very successful Blue Crabs nights of the past few years, this year's 5th annual event will feature a dedicated-to-Surrattsville picnic area (if 200 or more tickets are sold) and a fund raising raffle featuring items like three pairs of tickets to future Blue Crabs games.
Tickets are $30, and include parking, game tickets, 15% off at the team store and access to the two-hour all you can eat buffet picnic offering BBQ ribs, lemon pepper chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, mac and cheese, chips, ice cream sandwiches and soft drinks. Buying tickets is simple: just go to www.somdbluecrabs.com and click on the “Fun-Raisers” tab, then click on the Surrattsville icon, then enter fundraising code SHS14, then click buy. Select your seats and complete your order. (Questions: Call Del Baxter at the Blue Crabs at 301-374-1127.)
If you have any items that you or your business would like to donate to the raffle, or have any questions about the Surrattsville aspects of the event, please contact Evan Vutsinas (76) at email@example.com. Many thanks to Evan for organizing these great annual events for the Surrattsville community!
2. ACHIEVEMENT AWARD NOMINATIONS SOUGHT. This is the time of year when we ask our readers to submit nominations for the Foundation's Annual Achievement Awards. These annual awards recognize members of the Surrattsville community for their outstanding achievements in community service, the arts, their careers, and the like. Please submit nominations by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Photos and bios of the truly extraordinary previous Achievement Award recipients can be found at surrattsville.org.)
3. ACHIEVEMENT AWARD RECIPIENT RECEIVES TOP HONOR. And speaking of the Foundation’s Achievement Awards, we’re proud to report that 2011 Achievement Award recipient Dave Chappell (75) was honored with this year’s Washington Area Music Association’s “Musician of the Year” award. This is the most prestigious award given to Washington area musicians. You can see more about Dave’s illustrious career at guitardavechappell.com. (The web site features some great videos of Dave’s extraordinary playing, some featuring the bass virtuosity of his fellow Achievement Award recipient and WAMMIE winner John Previti (72).)
Congratulations to Dave on this wonderful recognition by his musical peers!
4. UPDATE CONCERNING FOUNDATION GRANT. Last year, a Foundation grant provided for a library of read-aloud books, and a rocking chair from which they could be read, for the School’s Child Development Program. We just received this nice update from the Program’s Coordinator: “Dear Foundation: I just wanted to let you know how much the students in the Child Development Program at Surrattsville High School continue to enjoy reading to our little students each and every day. The Foundation's donation has made a huge difference in our program. Thank you so much! Elizabeth C. Smith, Child Development Coordinator”
Many thanks to Elizabeth for reporting in on this Foundation grant!
5. CLASS OF 79 REUNION UPDATE. We received this update from the Class of 70 Reunion planners: "Mark your calendar for Saturday, August 23, 2014 for the Class of 79 Reunion, and surrounding classes are more than welcome to join in the fun. The event is planned to be at the Hilton Garden Inn in Waldorf, MD. To sign up and buy tickets go to: http://www.surrattsville79.reunionmanager.com/ Or email Marilynda Orange Macquade at email@example.com to sign up.
6. CLASS OF 74 PLANS REUNION. And here’s an announcement from the Class of 74 about plans for its upcoming reunion: “A reunion committee is currently organizing a 40-year reunion for the Class of 1974. Three possible reunion venues have been identified. These are: South River Country Club (near Edgewater, MD), the Sheraton Hotel in Annapolis, MD, and the Sheraton Hotel in Alexandria, VA. As it stands now, we anticipate the reunion to take place sometime during September-October, with more specific dates to follow. The committee is trying to keep exchanges of information related to the reunion centralized on a Surrattsville Class of 74 Facebook group site. The site can be accessed by going to Facebook and searching “Surrattsville Class of 74” or linking to the group site via https://www.facebook.com/groups/117993451552383/. If you would like to attend the reunion please go to Facebook and let us know. The committee is working feverishly to identify good contact information for Class of 1974 alumni. If you know of another classmate that might be interested in attending the reunion please share this information and the Facebook information with him or her and hopefully the task of locating alumni can be made a bit easier. Thanks to all and we’re looking forward to seeing as many of our classmates as possible at the reunion. The 1974 Reunion Committee.”
7. CLASS OF 64 FINALIZES REUNION PLANS. And we received this reunion update from the Class of 64: “The Class of 1964 has finalized plans for the 50th reunion. A fun-filled weekend is being planned for September 26-28, 2014. The reunion will be held at the Commander Hotel located at the Boardwalk and 1401 Atlantic Street, Ocean City, MD, 410-289-6166. The hotel's web site is www.commanderhotel.com. If you are interested in staying at the hotel, a block of rooms have been held with a 20% discount. However, you must mention the SHS reunion. It is recommended that reservations be made as early as possible.
We have a deadline of June 1, 2014 for reservations to attend the reunion. The cost for the dinner/dance on Saturday, 9/27/14 is $64 and also includes a "goodie" bag. Dress for the entire weekend, including the dinner/dance, is Beach Casual, but no speedos or thongs please! On Friday evening, March 26 there will be a reception at the hotel, which is a BYOB event. Appetizers will be provided. Remember, the deadline to register is June 1, 2014.
This is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime event! If you are interested in attending, please contact one of the following people and we will let you know where you can send the money for the reunion. Please do not hesitate to call - we are looking forward to seeing everyone and having a great time. Call or e-mail:
Philip Foster, 301-254-1946,
[Ed. note: Love the pricing and the dress code!]
8. CLASSES OF 83/84/85 REUNION. And we received this notice from the Classes of 83, 84 and 85: "Mark your calendar for Saturday, October 11, 2014 for our Classes of 83/84/85 Reunion. Please email Debbie O’Clair MacKenzie at Debbiemackenzie45@yahoo.com to be placed on the mailing list (if you have not already received the “save the date” email). If you have questions about the event, contact your Class representative:
9. LATEST MARY SURRATT SIGHTING. Some of you may have seen reviews of “The Lincoln Deception,” a book by David O. Stewart that was recently published. Apparently, while writing a non-fiction book about Andrew Johnson’s impeachment, the author happened upon a statement in a biography of the Lincoln conspirators’ prosecutor that suggests that, on his deathbed, the prosecutor uttered to his physician that Mary Surratt “had told him a secret – that would die with him -- that could destroy the republic.”
Mr. Stewart was unable to discover the secret through his research, so he filled in the blanks in the fictionalized treatment that is “The Lincoln Deception.” The book traces the steps of the prosecutor’s physician to solve the mystery of the secret. One reviewer notes that Mr. Stewart tells his tale “with the skill of an able mystery writer who has crafted a readable thriller in which villains abound and surprises pop up at every turn.”
Writers and historians seem to be continually intrigued by the saga of Mary Surratt!
[Ed. Note: We’d be interested in any reviews of this book from our readers.]
10. NEW PHOTOS CONTINUE TO BE ADDED TO FOUNDATION'S FACEBOOK GROUP. Thanks to the on-going work of a number of members of the Surrattsville community, the large collection of wonderful historical photos with Surrattsville themes on the Foundation's Facebook Group, "Surrattsville Alumni," continues to grow. (Naturally, the Foundation would love to have any Surrattsville- or Clinton-themed historical photos or videos you might wish to share.)
11. FOUNDATION'S YOUTUBE CHANNEL CONTINUES TO CREATE INTEREST. The Foundation's youtube channel is always looking for additional content to add. (There's a rumor that there might be some digital copies of drama productions at Surrattsville that might be suitable to include. Naturally, we'd love to have those treasures!)
Please become a subscriber to the channel,
take a moment to view the programs on the channel at
12. FOUNDATION FACEBOOK PRESENCE CONTINUES TO GROW. The Foundation's Facebook Group – called "Surrattsville Alumni" – continues to grow, and is now at approaching 1800 members. This is a great, and free, way for folks to stay in touch. Similarly, the Class-specific Facebook Groups – that have names like "Surrattsville 1969," "Surrattsville 1973," "Surrattsville 1971," and the like -- continue to grow. These Facebook Groups are becoming an increasingly active way for folks to share memories and news updates of interest to the Surrattsville community. Please consider joining the Surrattsville Alumni Group, and your own Class-specific Group.
Here's hoping you're enjoying longer days and warming skies!
All the best, Henry Smith (71)
MANY THANKS TO THESE EARLY DONORS TO THE 2014 CAMPAIGN!